
"Outside, even through the shut window pane, the world looked cold. Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC." (6)
Big brother represents the government in Oceania. Oceania is described as a very cold and depressing place, the vivid description creates a great image for the reader to imagine. There is obviously a tense political climate in the area, as posters around Oceania represent different views and try to sway citizens to think a certain way. The people of Oceania are being watched and controlled by the government. Their thinking is controlled by what is known as the "thought police." The people have no freedom to think for themselves, or to control the world they live in. This oppressive totalitarian society seems to be very sad and depressing. This is not a great way to live and some people may feel it reflects many real-life governments. In certain countries that don't have certain liberties like freedom of speech, this book isn't actually so odd. Posters that read "INGSOC" represent the thinking and teachings of the government, or big brother. INGSOC means English Socialism and is how of the beliefs of the Oceania government are pushed onto citizens. The contrast between the Big Brother and INGSOC posters allows the reader to understand the political climate of Oceania. The description regarding the eyes of the "big brother" and Winston's meeting show the fear instilled in Oceania citizens and further supports the idea that this government is ruled based on totalitarianism. Oceania controls its citizens through a dictatorship and limits the amount of freedom they may have.This unfair monitoring has led to a place that feels and looks unhappy according to Winston's point of view.

I liked that you picked this quote because it does paint a great picture of the daily life people have to endure in 1984. This image highlights how people do not have many rights and the rights that they do have are made to only benefit Big Brother. I like how you also pointed out that although this seems like something that would only happen in a novel, it is actually a sad reality that people go through in multiple countries. In this society, people are not allowed to live freely and enjoy their life to the fullest because their goals must be aligned with the goals of Big Brother.
ReplyDeleteI 100% agree with your interpretation. When you brought up how this type of government is a reflection of many real life governments because of their lack of liberties, it really stood out to me because this is very true. Indeed, this book isn't so odd.
ReplyDeleteI like the first quote you chose because it also represents the picture on how big brother is watching you. I also enjoyed the second quote because of how it has facts about the government not knowing what they are doing.
ReplyDeleteTo begin with, I actually enjoyed your writing because it was pretty well written. I liked how you compared the book to the contemporary world. I agree with most of what you said. In all honesty, I think that I learned more about information such as INGOSC and Big Brother through your journal, than through the book, hence I should probably read your journals instead of the book. Kidding, but good job.
ReplyDeleteI think that free speech is something that is very important to the book and I am glad that you talked about it. This can make us think about how the people of Oceania feel. I think that your pictures make this a really nice post!
ReplyDeleteI like how you expressed the quote, on how big brother(the government) is always watching every step you take. Such in a silent way that you feel like you have freedom, but in reality you're not. I really just liked how you showed and compared the situation the citizens in Oceania are in which can relate how today's government is with us people.
ReplyDelete