Book 1: Chapters 7-8

Image result for a lot of robots"A nation of warriors and fanatics, marching forward in perfect unity, all thinking the same thoughts and shouting the same slogans, perpetually working, fighting, triumphing, persecuting-- three hundred million people all with the same face." (77)

Image result for totalitarianismThis portrayal of Oceania citizens is very saddening. They are described as robots basically, all with the same movements, thoughts, and faces. "They march in perfect unity" yet are not what you imagine when picturing a united nation. Normally a nation where everybody agreed would be seen as something positive. But these people are not in agreement by their own will, they have been brainwashed and have so much fear instilled in them that there is no other option. They are united as objects rather than human beings each with their own thoughts and ways. They are merely tools that only benefit Big Brother. The end of this quote really conveys a strong message. The expression of the large number of people really puts this into perspective, and really grabbed my attention. The fact that so many people are under the same circumstances and are able to be controlled like this is very intriguing. Imagining that many people with little to no individualism is wild, and causes the reader to truly sit on this image

Comments

  1. Wow... You've put this brilliantly, and I can agree that it's rather saddening...
    The images serve their purpose really well, and drive home your point that Oceania citizens are just bits of a brainwashed whole, under Big Brother and the party.
    But may I ask what the reason is for the quotation mark after "they march in perfect unity"? I'm thinking it was meant to be a comma.
    All in all, this is a really well done blog, and the layout really blew me away, and this quote, in particular, hits hard. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with portrayal of Oceania citizens saddening. You thoughtfully described and gave prime examples of your thoughts on the citizens. I like your interpretation about them being united as objects rather than humans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you describe the citizens of Oceania as Robots is very interesting. That is an interesting simile. I also enjoyed that you started your response with an emotion. I love your description, which allows the reader to give sympathy to the people of Oceania. I think the number of people that are following the propaganda of Oceania is a very aspect that you pointed at. All in all your response is quite clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your review is amazing. It really puts into perspective how the people of Oceania are seen as. This also made me think of how it shows that they are worth almost nothing and their sole purpose is to work to keep Oceania alive. They must keep Oceania alive, even if it means they will be dead inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your take on the state of life for the citizens in Oceania. I appreciate the picture you used as the thumbnail for the post because just like in that film, everyone seems robotic. There seems to be nothing too special about these citizens. That is not to say they aren't special, but they themselves do not know that cannot portray their individual gifts. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The people of Oceania are really all the same. I think that this makes it easier for them to be controlled. You used a great picture!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment